Common Causes for a Leaky Roof
The roof on a home or business is one of the most important parts of the structure. We all know the expense that comes with replacing a roof, but is there a way to expand the life of a roof? Yes, there is!
Knowing what causes a leaky roof may help you find and stop the leaks before they become a large investment.
Leaky Roof Causes
· Flashing is Cracked: flashing sections may slide out of place if nails go missing or when caulk cracks over time
· Holes From Rooftop Installations: are you removing your TV antenna or installing something new onto your roof? Remember to patch all holes after removal and installation. Having these holes open can cause water to draw into the house/business
· Broken/Missing Shingles: broken and missing shingles are common after a strong storm rolls through an area. Make sure that when the area is safe around your home or business, to climb on a ladder (if possible) to inspect all areas of the roof, even those pesky hidden areas.
· Roof Vent: remember that anything that penetrates into a roof, like roof vents, be sealed properly to prevent any leaks
· Skylights/solar tubes: you added extra lighting to home/business by installing skylights/solar tubes but you notice now that they are leaking; this can be caused either by improperly measuring/fitting of the skylight or decaying of installation along the skylight/solar tube edges
· Clogged Gutters: gutters that a full of leaves and other material will soon become clogged which will slow down the flowing of water off the roof, giving time for the water soak into your roof
· Build-up of Debris: having twigs, leaves, pine needles on your roof can trap water on your roof and allow it to seep in by capillary action
· On Top of Roof To Often: inspecting your roof is important, it is as equally important to stay off the roof as much as possible.
· Roof Slope: if the slope of the roof is too shallow the wind can lift the shingles and drive rain underneath. Make sure that the roofing materials that are used are appropriate the pitch of your roof and the installation is done correctly
· Valleys Not Properly Sealed: there a few reasons why the valleys of roof are not sealed properly, it could have been that they were not properly when the roof was first installed, they could have cracked when they were stepped on, excess of rain, ice could have caused erosion over time
It is only natural that after a certain point and time that roofing materials will deteriorate. Inspecting your roof with this list in mind will help improve the longevity of your roof.